HO HO HO, Christmas is just over a month away – have you figured out who has been naughty and nice yet? Who gets the meaningful gift and who gets the lump of coal?
It’s been a tough old year 2020, quite frankly we all need something nice for getting through it.
If gift giving isn’t your thing, or if you are just too busy to think about it, fear not! We have compiled a list below of a number of local businesses with amazing products suitable for everyone!
Disclaimer : most of these gifts work for all members of the family but for the ease of reading we have split them out.
For the Kids
Kids are mostly easy to buy for right? Another Frozen toy or anything with buttons and lights. Tick, done. If you were looking for something a bit different this year however we have a few suggestions :
- Buy a hand-crafted doll or teddy bears from the Purple Patch. This store is a non-profit organisation, with goods made from local members and profits going to organisations such as the Hawke’s Bay rescue helicopter. So get a one of a kind, handmade gorgeous gift and also support local charities. Win win!
- Save the world one plastic item at a time and purchase reusable iceblock moulds from Full Circle Eco. Perfect for summer!
- Indulge their sweet tooth with some sweet treats from Milton Booklovers – with good old fashioned sweets available by the kg! – oh, and maybe pick up one of the classics to feed their brains at the same time.
They may not believe in Santa but boy do they want a stocking. The age group most likely to fall into the “naughty” column, here are a few idea’s that might elevate their tiktok cameo’s :
- The ultimate summer fashion accessory – sunglasses. Never has one fashion item been so important. How can one check out that hot guy/girl across the room subtly without being under the cover of darkness. Sunglasses for the win. Pop into see Terri and the team at Spex Eyewear, they have something for everyone.
- Have you got a muso in the family but can’t afford to drop $2k on a new guitar? Pop in to see Richie and the team at The Music Machine and talk to them about the perfect accessories available – an effective way to support the music dream from the outset and ensure you bathe in the riches when they hit the big time.
- An easy win for the fashion conscious is a t shirt. Boardzone are local stockists of iLabb, designed and created in NZ this label will ensure the wearer will look “fresh to death” (is that what the cool kids say?)
The world famous millennials. Known for not being able to afford houses due to too much smashed avocado consumption, and also valuing experience over stuff and things. Give a man a fish, he’ll eat it in a day, teach a man to fish and he’ll instagram the beejaysus out of it.
With this in mind a few money can buy great gifts could be :
- A pottery lesson from local clay connoisseur Morgan Made (or Holly as we like to call her). Get your “Ghost” on with your lover, or just genuinely expand your skill base and feel the zen of moulding a mug, or a bowl out of a big lump of the brown stuff.
- Got a man in your life looking a bit squiffy around the edges? Lock him in to a deluxe shave at Barber Shop Co. Hot towels and essential oils will make any man look a million bucks.
- For the crafty or artistically inclined in your life, check out the plethora of workshops on offer at Creative Arts Napier. Learn to sew, draw, and everything in between with local artists.
The tired parent crew, low on time and energy, these guys to be fair would probably like a lie in or a long shower, but some other gifts could be :
- Perfume / Cologne from local legends, Elaines on Emmerson. Established over 30 years ago this perfumeire knows a thing or two about how to treat the nostrils.
- A book from Wardini’s – not the nations best bookstore for nothing, let Lou, Nigel and the team steer you towards one of the best forms of escapism
- For this kitchen enthusiast a knife sharpener from Blackbird Goods could be the ticket. There is something wonderfully relaxing about properly sharpening a knife, also – it looks super cool.
These guys are often the hardest to buy for, for no other reason than they often have everything they want. Never fear though, you can’t go wrong with :
- The Xmas staple, sock and undies are given a new life at The Department of Curiosities and Fine Things. No white y-fronts here, these are cool enough to be worn on the outside (not that we want them to be of course).
- For the fashionable lady in your life pop into Adore Collections and check out their huuuuge range of scarves and accessories. Go big, go bright, go BOLD. Dare to be different!
- Who doesn’t love to eat? Who doesn’t love to eat for free? Who doesn’t love Napier restaurants? No one. Not one person. So grab a restaurant voucher from any of our amazing restaurants, it’s a sure fire winner.
Words by Zoe Barnes Marketing